Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Difference Between a Vacation and an Adventure

I suppose one's expectations of a good vacation includes guided tours, room service, taking in a show, poolside drinks and a nice tan. But a true adventure includes the unexpected.

Not everything goes as planned on an adventure. How you deal with these surprises separates the tourist from the explorer. I like to try as many new foods as I can. A tourist may taste something "bad" while an explorer taste something strange and knows that's part of the adventure. A tourist is outraged if  he has to take a cold shower while an explorer finds it invigorating or realizes you don't need to shower everyday. 

The whole point of an adventure is to get away from the things you do everyday in favor of the surprise that awaits you around the next turn. I don't want to be the tourist who waste time worrying about the quality of the water or getting a window seat. It's more fun to just jump in with your eyes open. If the train is running late that's a chance to talk to a local in the station. If you drink some iffy water, that's a bummer but it passes and it's something else to talk about when you remember your great adventure. 



One of my favorite days of last year's trek across Eastern Europe was the day I was totally lost in Prague.  I was trying to find someone who spoke English and could direct me to the Black Madona Cafe; where I was to meet an old friend, Lucy.  I wasn't even sure if I could find my way back to the hotel but eventually Lucy found me a few blocks from the cafe and helped me learn my way around Prague. 

Sometimes a little discomfort feels great and it always makes for a good story.


No comments:

Post a Comment