Thursday, May 15, 2014

Immunizations

I always check with the CDC before I travel overseas to see what immunizations I might need.  Since I travel every year, I usually find that I am up-to-date on most things like; Hepatitis, Typhoid etc... 

Sometimes they recommend Malaria pills if I'm going into a tropical area.  I've decided to save my trip to the Amazon until a later trip and I doubt that there will be many, if any, mosquitos at the high altitude of the Andes.  They may, however, recommend a rabies vaccine since I will be taking a four day hike.  I'll check the CDC website then make an appointment with my doctor.

I also check to see what side effects some immunizations might have.  If I know I might have some sort of reaction, I will weigh the threat of contracting the disease vs. the probable effects and elect to take my chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment