Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Where the Adventure Really Begins


With a lot of work and a little luck, I plan to spend the summer of 2014 in Peru.

I don't usually begin my travel blogs this early but, I thought it might be interesting for you to see everything that goes into my travel adventures.  The adventure actually begins long before I pack my bags.  The first thing I must ask myself is; how am I going to pay for this?

Sometimes I just save my money and pay for it myself but, traveling around the world is expensive and I can't always do that on a teacher's salary.  But, there are other resources out there if you are willing to do some work.

Many of you have enjoyed following my blogs from my previous adventures.  Those of you who have been in my classes have also experienced the many classroom projects related to my travels.  Both the blog and my classroom projects are a lot of fun but they also are an excellent way to learn about the many cultures, adventures and opportunities that are to be discovered in other parts of our world.

Hey!  That sounds like a great way to teach and broaden the horizons of young people.  Indeed, it is and there are other people and organizations out there who just might see the value in that and decide it's worth investing their money in such a great adventure.

That is, in fact, exactly how I traveled to Japan, Senegal and Costa Rica.  The Fulbright Memorial Fund paid for all my expenses to go the Japan, the U. S. Department of Education through the  Fulbright-Hays Seminar Abroad program paid for me to go the Senegal and the Toyota International Teachers program paid for me to go to Costa-Rica.

That was not the case when I traveled to Eastern Europe last summer.  That trip used all the money I had saved for travel and I simply don't have the money to travel this summer.  So, if I'm going to Peru this summer, I will need some help.

No comments:

Post a Comment