Saturday, January 25, 2014

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Ed Sanders
There are, indeed, many adventures to be found in great literature and I can't think of many better tour guides than Ernest Hemingway.

I have been very lucky to have been on many adventures where I have been able to meet some amazing people.  One of my first adventures is an adventures for which many of you will soon embark; college.  You will quickly make new friends once you begin your college courses and move into your new housing.

I met my friend and fellow artist, Ed Sanders, during our freshman year at Herron and it was the beginning of a fifteen year-long adventure for us.  Like most college students, we socialized a lot outside of our classes and at one point we even considered moving into a house together.  But, it was our connection as fellow artists  that drove our relationship.

During the final year of my undergraduate studies, I founded an alternative exhibition space called 431 Gallery.  Ed was one of the founding board members and an exhibiting artist.  After three years as Director, I left 431Gallery; began my graduate studies and was hired by another gallery but, Ed remained active with 431 Gallery for the remaining seven years of its existence.  He was as committed to 431 as he was to his own studio.  I eventually opened In Vivo Gallery and Ed joined me their where he exhibited his work or a regular basis.  In 1996, I took a position as Director of Education at the art center in Portland, IN and I even exhibited his work there on a few occasions.

Our paths finally parted when I moved to Chicago in 2000.  Ed remained a prolific artist until August of 2005; when he died of cancer.  You may read a tribute to Ed at: http://www.nuvo.net/indianapolis/remembering-ed-sanders/Content?oid=1205949

On June 27th , the Herron Gallery will be presenting a retrospective of Ed's work.  I will be there.  Nothing could keep me away so, whatever other travel plans I may have will need to work around that date.



No comments:

Post a Comment